Decrypt an Ansible Vault - ansible vault
How to decrypt an Ansible vault file using the ansible-vault command line utility.
How to decrypt an Ansible Vault?
From an encrypted file to plaintext using the correct password. I will show you a live demo with some simple Ansible code. I’m Luca Berton, and welcome to today’s episode of Ansible Pilot.
- Included in Ansible installation
- Ansible Vault
- command line
ansible-vault command is included in every Ansible installation for the most modern operating system.
It is a command line tool so interact with that using your terminal.
ansible-vault command, you could perform any Ansible vault operation: encryption, decryption, change of password, etc.
The Best Resources For Ansible
- Learn Ansible Automation in 250+examples & practical lessons: Learn Ansible with some real-life examples of how to use the most common modules and Ansible Playbook
- Ansible by Examples: 200+ Automation Examples For Linux and Windows System Administrator and DevOps
- Ansible For Windows By Examples: 50+ Automation Examples For Windows System Administrator And DevOps
- Ansible For Linux by Examples: 100+ Automation Examples For Linux System Administrator and DevOps
- Ansible Linux Filesystem By Examples: 40+ Automation Examples on Linux File and Directory Operation for Modern IT Infrastructure
- Ansible For Containers and Kubernetes By Examples: 20+ Automation Examples To Automate Containers, Kubernetes and OpenShift
- Ansible For Security by Examples: 100+ Automation Examples to Automate Security and Verify Compliance for IT Modern Infrastructure
- Ansible Tips and Tricks: 10+ Ansible Examples to Save Time and Automate More Tasks
- Ansible Linux Users & Groups By Examples: 20+ Automation Examples on Linux Users and Groups Operation for Modern IT Infrastructure
- Ansible For PostgreSQL by Examples: 10+ Examples To Automate Your PostgreSQL database
- Ansible For Amazon Web Services AWS By Examples: 10+ Examples To Automate Your AWS Modern Infrastructure
I will show you how to decrypt an Ansible Vault using the ansible-vault command line utility. At the beginning of this example, we start with an encrypted Ansible vault, and once we enter the correct password, we obtain a cleartext file.
$ ansible-vault decrypt encrypted-to-plain.yml Vault password: Decryption successful
$ cat encrypted-to-plain.yml $ANSIBLE_VAULT;1.1;AES256 65333637643363376438633838346563353666636433613032333663666137613839333564393238 3930333031633134346461303636623937353561643464390a363534383938396336346130653231 34356437363733313638336437343735366362343031663866326135633538373237646537356638 6163373837343332660a323666666534353561656464353033613137333463316534663062643561 34373865636163626163313235393239653539356665373361373939633138373137643264386533 3761646565643732396531313561366364353031373731353839
$ cat encrypted-to-plain.yml --- password: mysupersecretpassword
Now you know how to decrypt an Ansible Vault.Subscribe to the YouTube channel, Medium, Website, Twitter, and Substack to not miss the next episode of the Ansible Pilot.
Learn the Ansible automation technology with some real-life examples in my
My book Ansible By Examples: 200+ Automation Examples For Linux and Windows System Administrator and DevOps
Want to keep this project going? Please donate